Friday 4 May 2007

progress so far

Over the first few months I planted the raspberry canes (27, a mixture of Glen Moy, Tulameen and Joan J), strawberry plants (18, a mixture of Mae, Florence and Flamenco), and some overwintering garlic and onions. Since Spring sprung, I have started sowing carrots, peas, beans (broad & runner), parsnips, beetroot, perpetual spinach, several types of broccoli, jerusalem artichokes, and last but not least, 5 varieties of potatoes.

I'm also including quite a lot of flowers (some bulbs, some seeds) in the hope of brightening the plot up, attracting nice insects, and supplying me with a few flowers for the house.

Bearing in mind that the only veg I have previously grown are a few beetroot and carrots, this first year will be a huge learning curve. Luckily with the advice of the gang on the Grapevine (http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/index.php), and judicious reading of all & sundry gardening magazines & books, I'm hopeful I'll manage to produce at least some decent fruit and veg this year.

No comments: